Electronic Resources and Services
Cell-Ed helps users build skills for life and work, learn English, and take their next steps in work and education.
- Free program provided by the New York State Office for New Americans.
- The student only needs a mobile device to access the program.
- Learn English to help navigate daily life. Learn grammar, phrases, and vocabulary.
- Build skills for work. Learn how to apply for a job, communicate on the job, manage time and more!
- Learn how to apply for Citizenship and prepare for the exam.
To sign up, call the free, multilingual New York State New Americans Hotline: 1-800-566-7636
The Hotline is available Monday – Friday from 9 AM – 8 PM.
- English course includes daily short lessons or a more comprehensive 8 week course.
- Learn English vocabulary pertaining to your work and/or your interests.
- A library card from any public library in Suffolk County is required.
- For quick access, enter your library card number to get started or create an account to save your progress.
Brainfuse: Adult Learning Center
*Requires a Suffolk County library card.
- Live one-on-one tutors available (in Spanish) for Math, Reading and Writing from Basic to Advanced levels.
- Practice tests available to review for the U.S. Citizenship test.
- The Learning English course uses video showing the lives of young Americans and includes instruction in speaking, vocabulary, and writing.
- There are 3 course levels: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.
- Each course includes a quiz to test what you have learned.
Easy English News
- Located in the “Literacy & Language Learning” Area in the Adult Room.
- We have one copy that is available for in library use only.
- Easy English News is a monthly newspaper for adult and young adult English language learners, and is written in simple English.
English For Everyone Series
ANR 428.24 ENG
English for Everyone is a series of guides and practice books that support English language learning from beginner through advanced levels. Offers an easy-to-follow format and a self-study approach, with resources available to improve English speaking, reading, and writing.
Rapid Reads Series
Rapid Reads are short novels and non-fiction books for adult readers, including ESL students, and can be read in one sitting.
English for Beginners (Class)
Join us for this monthly class to help enhance your English language skills.
*Library Card not required.
*Register online, at the Circulation Desk or call 631-669-5445.
*Spanish speaking staff available for questions afternoons, evenings and Saturdays.